Leticia Amazonas is a paradise in the middle of the Amazon. Our city is located right in the middle of Iquitos (Peru) and Manaus (Brasil) on the Amazon river. Leticia is less touristic than Iquitos (Peru) or Manaus (Brasil), we have local indigenous communities, beautiful jungle and amazing Amazon river tributaries for adventure activities. Here is a quick guide you can follow, and information about Leticia Amazonas and the best recommendations for your trip.
What is to come to the Amazon?
Visiting and taking a tour in the Amazon is an opportunity to be in nature, breath 100% pure air, share, have a cultural exchange with local natives, and enjoy the way of living of local people in the middle of the jungle. The Amazon is not just about wildlife spotting, Spotting animals in the Amazon is not like Africa. It is more complicated than you expect. We always recommend to have a good life journey enjoying the nature, activities, and meeting new people on a tour in Leticia Amazonas.
How to get to Leticia Amazonas?
We only know that Leticia only has 3 arrivals (Iquitos – Manaus – Bogota). If you are in Iquitos (Peru) or Manaus (Manaus), you can take a slow boat, fast boat or plane. From Bogota, there are only 2 flights every day, and the companies that flight here are LAN and Avianca. There are no road from Bogota to Leticia.
Accomodation in Leticia Amazonas
There are plenty offers in Leticia on accomodation. We always recommend tourist this three accomodation options, if you are coming for a tour in Leticia Amazonas. In our city we have bad internet connection, due that we are located in the middle of the jungle. Please don’t be complaining about this.
Please use Booking.com so you can have prices, pictures and reviews that can be helpful for your staying in the region.
Attractions and getting around Leticia Amazonas
Leticia is a fantastic city surrounded with lots of adventure, and activities to do. You can do activities and tours such as:
- Tree climbing and Zip lining
- Visit local native communities
- Cultural exchange learning the use of coca and tobacco
- Amazon river cruises
- Visit monkey island
- Kayaking in Yahuarcaca Lake
- Visit Tabatinga (Brasil)
- Visit local museums in Leticia Amazonas
- Trek in Amazonian Jungle
- See the Parakeet’s arrival at Santander Park
- Night safaris in Amazonian Jungle
- Good night life
If you want to have a more detail information, i recommend you to visit here for more information on tours in Leticia Amazonas.
Transportation or how to move around
In Leticia Amazonas, there are 4 different options for mobilization. Be aware that the only authorized and secure are taxis.
- Mototaxi: People use their bikes as a transportation service, prices will go from $1,500 COP around Leticia, and $2,000 COP or more to the kilometers. Be aware that they are not authorized by law, and some of the mototaxi’s don’t have insurance.
- Tuk Tuk: This is a cheap option to move around the city. Prices goes $3,000 for 3 pax, and $2,000 if you are solo. From 10:00 PM the prices are $5,000 COP. Be aware that they are not authorized by law, and some of the tuks tuks don’t have insurance.
- Taxis: This option have a price of $4,000 COP around Leticia, and it’s the only authorized to go to the airport. They also have insurance in case of an emergency
Jungle Tours in Leticia Amazonas
The best option to have a life journey is to take an organized three to five day tour in Leticia Amazonas. My recommendation is to stay out of Leticia, our city is nice and interesting, but there is more action and jungle activities in communities or reserves. Always book tours in Leticia Amazonas with authorized operators.
You can check our tour options here:
Recommendations on your tour
Coming to the Amazon have some rules. Following this recommendations on your tour in Leticia Amazonas, will save you problems on your vacation. Always book a tour with an authorized operator, this way you help us eliminate pirate operators.
Here there is a quicklist of things you must bring to your tour in Leticia Amazonas:
- Sun Block
- Bug Repellent (Dont bring high percentage of DEET)
- Long sleeve light color shirts and pants
- Long socks
- Rain cover or jacket
- Binoculars (Optional)
- Rubber boots
- Day back pack (25-20 litters)
Always ask your tour operator to provide you rubber boots, rain cover and life jacket if you are taking a boat. Your safety is really important, ask for your daily health insurance. The company that provides good health insurance in the Amazon is ColAsistencia.